The Fine Woodworking Hanging Tool Cabinet – Part II

The carcass of the cabinet is done, and hung on the wall. Now we need to work on making this space actually store stuff. On today’s program, I make the doors, make them start to be useful, and get some other milestones started.

First up is the upper carcass storage. I made a temporary plane till, because shedding the old one meant I didn’t have anywhere to them. I’ll go back and redo it at some later point when I either have more/better planes, or an accurate idea of the space they will take up. Above this area is a small cabinet with storage on and behind the doors. I’ll have a picture for this later, but you’ll notice a spot where I did a dado on the wrong side. No worries, this will be hidden by a door hinge piece. In the photo later on, the upper cabinet area has a shelf where the sharpening stones are sitting on right now.

The big part of this update are the doors. The biggest space usage on my wall is the massive amount of chisels I have, and getting the doors on will allow me to get moving on fixing this. First step was to make the rim pieces, which were more dovetails.

I of course am not perfect with my dovetail making, but I think I did well enough. The rim gets attached to the door frame/front, which was up next. I cut a tongue and groove on all the pieces necessary, including the new plywood I picked up for the purpose.

I will say that this step was fraught with problems. I don’t honestly know what the issue was with the first problem, but things didn’t line up. The second issue was caused by not properly doing the groove because I messed up the bit height and had to carry on.

This was not ideal. I had to do some trimming on the doors, just enough where I didn’t reduce the coverage of the doors. I used the track saw to square things up, and I also used the sander. A lot. Thankfully I was able to save what I made, and I didn’t think I’d be able to do that. I glued the fronts to the rims next.

Next up was checking to see how it would look, which is the featured pic at the top of this page. After that, it was time to install the hinges, which I bought from Rockler. These have a removable pin, and are very much cheaper than the decorative options I saw elsewhere. Everything got a sanding up to 180 grit while it was off the wall.

This picture right above shows that while my mortises and dovetails weren’t perfect, some glue and sanding really helps to hide things. With the hinges mounted and everything sanded, it was time to go back up on the wall.

Looking heroic. After a week off, it was time to tackle the chisels. It turned out that I could fit them eight across on the back of a door, and I had 23. I gave the widest two chisels a bit more room, and went to town. I ordered a 22mm bit to better help secure the chisels, since these would have to be canted about 5° to fit them all in.

I cut the holes on the drill press with the forstner bits, then cut the angle on the table saw. I got a perfect fit side to side, got a perfect fit sizing the holes to each individual chisel. Satisfied by the success, I made some more holes for the Narex rasps I also had, including leaving room for expansion.

And that’s where we leave things as of about a month ago. I decided it was time to take another break, along with it being time to work on another stage set. To be honest, the next bit gets difficult not having things on hand to size accurately, so I’m holding off for a bit. I also need to work on getting finish on what I’ve made thus far, plus putting in magnets to secure the doors. At the same time, I’m looking at the broader picture of the shop and seeing what other tweaks and improvements I can make.

That’s all for now.

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.