The New Shop – In the trees

Looking back to my last post I realized I didn’t put a picture in of the completed wall assemblies. So, here you go.

Late Saturday I was hoping to put the roof rafters up, but it became too late in the day to ask for any help. So for Sunday, my task was to get things ready for when I could have some help accomplishing this. I installed hurricane brackets on either side of where the eight middle roof rafter assemblies would sit, directly on the wall stud locations. I installed these to the outside, and bent them over the top plate so that the rafters would be able to be fully nailed in place. I also picked up four twist ties for the end rafters, but it turned out these didn’t work so well.

Getting the first end rafter assembly up was rough, so I decided the other end would wait. The one we did install may have to come down to be installed in a different way. The rest of them went up better, because they are more structurally sound. We tried to get them centered on the top plate from the outside, but it remains to be seen if we did a great job of that. After the first one we just tried to eyeball it, which wasn’t really what we should have done. I should have sheathed the walls first, put up tall structural supports for the outside rafters (which would also be sheathed), put up the outside rafters and strung a line to create the center point. Oh well, what is done is done and I’ll have to just go from here. I will be measuring the rafters from the outside walls and see how far off everything is. I think my mark will be 1/4″, and if it’s off more than that things may have to come down and be redone. This is one of those things that while this is my first time building, I should have known better.

So, the roof rafters are up. I don’t know if they’ll stay up. They were installed with the Simpson ties and toenailed, so if they need to come down it won’t be a pleasant task. Thankfully most of the toenailed heads stick out a bit, so it won’t be a complete cutting job if needed. Perhaps I will have gotten lucky and our skill at getting them centered will be accurate.

I just went outside and measured the overhangs, and this is my verdict: wow, not bad. The side closest to the house is all within 1/8″ of an inch. I couldn’t ask for much more. The opposite side vary a bit more, almost up to 1/2″ on a couple. The rest are within 1/4″. I may see if the worst two offenders can be adjusted, otherwise I may need to shim. With this information, I would assume that all the peaks are within what would be consider tolerances. If I can correct or shim the other side the roof portion would be good to put up. But, fears are allayed.

Next time I will revisit the expected timeline and compare how I am doing, and the next several steps in their expected order and timing.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *