Thein cyclone – part 3

(Don’t shoot me, I forgot to take pics of assembly)

It’s done. I cut out the holes for the inlets this afternoon, and realized that my 6″ bolts were going to be too short. I drove up to Lowe’s and exchanged them for 8″ ones, increasing the cost of the project by around a buck. Oh well. I drilled three holes for the bolts, and made sure everything would fit fine. I secured the inlets to the top with a glue gun, including the pass-through inlet to it’s lower portion below. I’ll have to go back and use RTV to really seal it up, but I didn’t feel any leaks. More for my peace of mind than anything else. I added a handle to help me remove the lid (aligned with a handle on the can).

All that was left was to empty out the small separator and the vac and give the filter a good dusting. I’ll be replacing the filter with a HEPA unit soon, but it will work fine for now. I dumped the buckets on the floor to test how well the new cyclone worked. You can see the results below. Supremely happy. I’ll also state that this is the last time I do a project with MDF. It gets everywhere, and I assume that includes my lungs. I’ve not felt well the last day or so, and I chalk it up to forgetting to put my mask on. It would have helped some, but the dust lingers for far longer than I would have been comfortable keeping it on.

I’ll have to take into account the new can when designing the layout of the shop. It’s too big to keep under the saw, but perhaps it can simply reside in the corner or incorporate into the planer cart. That would be something, as it would be somewhat of a large circle I complete – I had at one time made the planer cart simply a large separator.

image

The bag got sucked up accidentally and passed through. Compared to the pic below, that’s about it though.

image

image

image

image

image

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.