A little bit of Saturday fun

So, I had some free time this afternoon and was able to get in a little bit of work in. The glue had set well enough to flush trim the remaining ash piece I put on yesterday. The router was still set up from yesterday and so it was a very quick jump into action.

Photobucket

Ready for action!

It was a fairly simple operation, with one caveat I’ll explain in a separate post. Once that was done, it was time for reassembly and a photo shoot!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

In those pictures, you can see the fruit of my labor yesterday getting the measuring tape on. So after that was done, it was time for a bit of cleaning from all those ash shavings. Got the place fairly tidy. At that time, I noticed I still had a fair amount of time, so I turned my attention to making a better stop block. With the tape measure on top of the fence, having the block on front only wasn’t going to work. It was simply a spare bit of plywood that I used as a temporary measure.

So, here we go…

Photobucket

Measuring the fence. Hmm…3″ exactly? I got an idea…

Photobucket

3″ exactly! This was an ash blank that I had lying around, 3/4″ thick, 3″ wide. Since I had just stowed the miter saw, I decided to use the circular saw and a guide. I should have just used the miter saw, but it worked out.

Photobucket

That’s the old stop block. You can see it’s a simple hole in the piece, with a toilet bolt (or T-bolt) inserted with a five-star knob to tighten it up. The wide end on the bolt is what rides in the T-slot in the fence.

Photobucket

The new block, ash-style. Hmm…still needs something.

Photobucket

There we go. Mated a top piece to it, perfectly flush on the sides. I was going to use the plate joiner to attach them, but was leery of glue seeping into the hole for the bolt. Two wood screws sufficed, and I have some cherry hole plugs lying around that I’ll use to hide the screw heads whenever I’m in the shop next.

Photobucket

And in it’s new temporary spot, on top of the metal shelves. I need to grab some rubber bumpers for it to sit on, but the thing is DONE. What a great addition to the shop, and I’m sure it will get a ton of use. The only thing I can see right now is figuring out a way I can hang it on the wall or sit it on it’s end to save a bit of room, but it’s just fine where it is for right now.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.