Bench shavings – 05/21/16

Almost two months since my last one of these, but I think this one fits the bill perfectly. I had some time this morning and early afternoon to keep working on the drawer fronts. I cut the remaining piece of plywood to the rest of the drawer sizes, save for the top one. I’ll cut that one later on when I have a better idea if this is going to work, and what size I need. As for the cut pieces, I used the same router bit setup and height to put the edge groove in them all.

With the plywood ready to go, I turned my attention to the edge banding. I had a piece of 8/4 (or perhaps thicker) poplar that was gifted to me, and I had no particular use for it. I decided this would be a perfect use, and did a bit of experimenting with how wide I wanted the strips. I settled on a .75″ rip cut to give me stock that was then just over 2″ wide. With these pieces on their sides, I could then rout the edge banding mating profile.

IMG_20160521_125359

I adjusted the height so the edge pieces would be mostly flush with the back side, but raised at the front. Thought being I could put a roundover on it, but I kind of like the squared-off look. I ended the day by putting some 45° cuts on the edging and mocked up the bottom drawer. The plywood is in rough shape, the worst of the bunch, but after some sanding and filler, it should work.

IMG_20160521_153914

I’ll continue working on these probably once the week begins. Sunday will probably not work out.

 

Before I began all of this, when I was cutting the first piece of plywood to size on the table saw, I again noticed how much effort it needed to move through the riving knife. It was binding pretty bad, and I was worried at some point it would be a safety hazard. I decided before I cut anything else on the saw I would attempt to fix this.

I started out by making sure the knife was properly aligned with the blade, and after taking apart the knife mechanism and fiddling with it, I got it to align while the saw was in a partially disassembled state, but not when it was all buttoned back up. I tried a couple more times, before wondering if my homemade ZCI was contributing to the problem. Sure enough, it was. The part that was cut out by the blade wasn’t an issue, but using a jigsaw to extend it back for the knife went astray. So some work with the 40mm chisel gave it enough clearance to work properly, and the knife was finally aligned up like it should be. After that, I had no more issues. I just wish I would have looked at the insert first, as it would have saved about thirty minutes.

It was another good day in the shop today, even though the outside continues to look more at place in a war zone.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.