Gathering Table – Day 62

(Part twelve of a continuing series)

This brings us current to August 23.

It’s been difficult to find time to write lately. I started school last week, and every spare moment at the computer has been spent either preparing for school or trying to get ahead on work. I suppose I have spent a fair amount of time de-stressing with video games. Now that I’m ahead a bit with school, I can devote a few minutes to catch you up on the table.

wpid-imag0779.jpg wpid-imag0781.jpg wpid-imag0782.jpg

I was able to modify the mortises on the trestle like I described and it went together great. There is a small gap on the laps, but otherwise it looks really good and it is really strong. Ties the whole base together well, and looks pretty good.

wpid-imag0778.jpg

 

I then put the curves on the required pieces, and I suppose it went okay. I see lots of waviness and errors, but others don’t seem to. Working with the sander was difficult due to missing washers, and the bandsaw was tough because of the length of the long parts. The ends went reasonably well. All this took place about a week ago.

wpid-imag0784.jpg wpid-imag0783.jpg

This weekend I was able to get a coat of teak oil on the base, and man does it make it pop. Finding epoxy for the contact points on the legs has been very difficult, and I am considering just using shellac or the teak oil. Just something that will keep water from wicking up.

wpid-imag0790.jpg

The top has gone fairly easy to this point. I considered using the track saw to trim up the boards, but settled on using the jointer to make one 90 degree corner, then through the planer to get right around 5″ wide. I glued the top in two sections, then together near the end of the day on Saturday. I had to jack plane the first section a bit to get level, but the second section went together much better. I sanded both sections with 80 and 120 grit, but that first section needs a bit more to level out the plane marks. The middle joint also still needs to be sanded, then bring the whole surface and sides to 220. I’ll probably also round the edges, and ask if the corners would like to be rounded. I think the sharp corners look better, but it could be a question of kid safety.

wpid-imag0791.jpg

Left to do for the table is to make the breadboards and attach them, sand, finish and make the attachment blocks. Now, I realized I might have an issue with the breadboards: with the original, the Domino XL was used instead of my Domino 500. The tenons here are about twice as long, up to 50mm longer. This would give considerable strength to that section, something I can’t do. I may have to make up some support blocks that attach to the base, and style them similarly to the ends of the trestle. This isn’t a difficult or time-consuming task, I’ll just have to see if they are needed.

I’d really like to have the table completed in time for Labor Day, but I don’t think the benches will be. In fact, I don’t see how they could. I hope to be done completely soon after, though.

wpid-imag0796.jpg

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.