LEGOrganization, Part Two

Finally getting back to this project after nearly three weeks. To recap, check out part one.

With three drawers done, it was time to make the cabinet. I crosscut the sides off the full sheet of plywood at 28″ tall. As usual, this was accomplished with the Festool TS55 and 1900 rail on my 4×8 Centipede support table. I then crosscut off the top and bottom at 16″. This leaves over a half sheet of material for other projects.

With the pieces a bit more manageable, I set the table saw fence to 23.5″ wide and cut everything down to right size. I did set the fence slightly wider on the first cut to get a clean edge, though. I measured for a toe kick on the side panels, and set my bottom panel right at the top.

After a couple of days messing around with TVs and monitors, I got back to work. I decided to use the pins on the Domino to mark my tenon locations instead of marking with a pencil, like I normally do. A bad experience out of the gate with it had shattered my confidence, but I gave it another go. This time, it worked as intended, with only a slight variance of how an edge lined up. Not sure why, but it was a success. I did add another tenon on the top in the middle for alignment, and did use pencil to mark the spot there.

After mortises were cut, I used the LR32 to make the drawer mounting points. You are supposed to mark 37mm from the front edge, but I got confused and did 32mm. Oh well, the drawer slides stick out a bit, and will have to be compensated for when the fronts are made.

 

With a dry fit confirming that the drawers will fit, it was time to cut the toe kicks. As with any project, there is mistakes. This one was tool-driven. My jigsaw cannot cut a straight, perpendicular line apparently. This makes the bottom look really bad, and I’m going to have to come up with another solution in the future. I may need to buy a new jigsaw.

 

Otherwise, the cabinet went together without issue. All my tenons lined up with the mortises, the front edges were almost all perfect with each other. I did put on a rabbet along the back edges before I glued together, and cut a piece of 1/4″ ply as a back and secured with glue and pin nails.  It fits really well under the table, although I do need to shim it level.

Yesterday, I figured out I would need two more drawers to fill out the cabinet and cut the rail pieces. Using the front of the drawer, which was cut in a batch at the beginning, I was able to get very accurate measurements at the miter saw and table saw. I used the shoulders of the rabbet to get my rear panel of the drawer cut to length, and the dado for the bottom to get the sides a dado accurately, then just raised the dado to make a through cut to get the back panel’s height perfect. I just need to size and cut the drawer bottoms, and assemble.

On the to-do list: trim to cover the exposed ply, toe kick cover, drawer fronts, paint. Since the entire thing will be painted, the trim and drawer fronts will be poplar. No time table on this, but I’m hoping not to string it out like I do with all my other projects.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.