More ideas

Well, more experience coming into play. This time, I talk about my systainers, what’s in them, and how the storage of them has changed my way of thinking.

The syswall has been one of the best projects I’ve done in the shop, making things pretty accessible, particularly all the Festools. It’s very easy to get to my TS55, which I keep on the lower rear (in orientation to the building) drawer. The domino storage systainers, Domino 500 and two sanders make up the front side of it, and I generally don’t have an issue with getting things out there. I’m happy with those.

What I wasn’t so happy with was the OF1400 router and self-made drill/driving bit systainer being on the back portion. The OF1400 has entirely too many accessories in the sys to get out and get at. The drill sys is too top heavy, and tended to roll back into the cabinet and not stay open. For me, that’s an issue.

I also have a few other systainers that aren’t as nicely packed onto drawer slides. I have a Sys II that holds my multifunction cutter, a Sys III that was empty, and a Sys IV that holds my air tools. My self-systainering (if you want to refer it that way) hasn’t been as nice as I told myself it would be. It is easy, though. In retrospect, the air tools could have easily gone back into a smaller drawer. As could the drills. It is what it is at this point, and unless I sell them I am stuck using them in some capacity. I will say they come in handy if I have to load something up to travel to a family member’s house.

I want to move at least the OF1400 to another spot, and I was heavily leaning toward putting it in the new router table. Seems like a good choice, considering all the other routing tools and accessories live there, or will. I was figuring it could be on a drawer, and I could have a small little box behind it to hold the accessories that get in the way and that I don’t always need access to. The tricky part is because of having the drawers on the outfeed side, and needing access to the router on the infeed or front side, the design is a bit tricky. I started on it last night, and I’m playing around with how the panels all intersect to get the one that makes the most sense. With the shop pretty much in order, I plan on taking some inventory to see what I have and what I need. However, I’m leaning toward using brand new panels so that everything looks good.

I’m not sure what I will do with the other systainers. The empty one I filled with my respirators and glasses, to help keep them a bit cleaner. I don’t think this will be the final home for them, though. The big sys with the air tools took the place of the router, which is sitting in a blank spot in the router table. The drill sys is sitting on the floor under the MFT looking for a permanent home or an alternate use.

Once I get the miter saw up on the wall, and the planer stand under it (which at this point is the plan, at least), I’ll be well on my way to what I think is the best version of this shop. I hope I’m more in the tweaking phase versus anything else, but I’ve thought that before.

I finally got off my butt and put the 2x4s up in the center part of the ceiling, and by doing it I think I made the wrong decision. You see with these lights, you can string 10 of them together on one run. You can’t, however, go in two directions. What I should have done is do two runs, one toward each side of the shop, and run it in a U pattern. Oh well, it’s done for now. I bought a new 36″ light fixture, which was only $5 more than the 23″, which is what I should have done in the beginning. More 2x4s may go up to run the U, to cut down on the total amount of lights needed. Truthfully, about six would provide enough coverage if the leads were done correctly, however without outlets staged all around the shop, this isn’t quite possible. Going forward, I’ll be buying the longer fixtures.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.