Tired, so this is going to be quick.
Went to the store and picked up some more poplar, a couple of boards worth. These are for the rails and stiles of the door. I set the table saw up for a 2.5″ width, then decided that it was a bit too wide and cut the stiles (long vertical pieces) to 2.25″ width. I had one piece left over that was 2″, so I decided the rails (short horizontal pieces) could be slightly smaller. If it doesn’t look good, it can always be changed.
Once all the pieces were ripped to the right size, I set up the router table with a slot cutting bit to make the slot where the rails and stiles will meet in a tongue and groove joint, as well for the middle ply panel to sit in. The bit was set up to be as close to the middle of the piece as I could get. All eight pieces got the slot. Had to bring the table into the middle to fit the 7′ long pieces.
I then set up the miter table and cut all pieces to the correct length. The stop block made things very easy.
Once that was done, I had to make the tongue part of the joint on the rails. To do this, I used a scrap piece to set up the table saw for the perfect height, as well as the fence to meet the depth of the groove. I made the inside cut, then ate away the waste by continuing to cut the piece and nibbling away at it.
I did a test fit with the scrap piece of ply I had left over, and it looks like it’s going to work out just fine. Just need to get a new sheet of 1/4″ ply and I can glue up the rails and stiles. The panel will float (no glue).
That’s it for tonight. Hot and boring parade in the morning.