Umm, I sincerely didn’t expect to be writing this the day or two after the last post. My Saturday morning and early afternoon were taken up with family activities, but I did get to Lowe’s for a piece of 1×2 poplar for the LEGOrganization cabinet trim. That was to be my intended project for that afternoon.
But…something happened when I got in the shop. I just started doing things before I recognized what I was actually accomplishing. It started out by putting a few things away, and measuring the space needed for an expanded chaos wall. Four hours later, somehow I had accomplished most of the things needed to do to tackle the left side wall.
As I said, it all started with the measurements necessary for a new chaos wall. To have three columns, I would need 53.25″ between the edge of the miter saw and the opposing wall. I needed to move the miter saw right at about 11 inches toward the middle. Then I set about seeing what I could fit on the left side, briefly thinking about putting the chaos wall there instead. I moved the jointer to the front of the shop on that wall, with the air compressor sitting under the left table. To do that I had to switch out one of the miter saw bench supports.
That done, I thought about what I would do with the old flip top cart that previously held the planer and now just had the sander on it. Long story short, I thought that perhaps I could put the planer back on the flip cart by itself, and store it upside down under the miter saw. That would work, but the bolts that adjust fine height of the miter stand came down too far for that. The miter saw would have to rise up a bit, and if I was going to do that, I might as well cut the miter saw bench to the length needed, and accomplish that at the same time.
So that’s exactly what I did. I cut down the table with the jigsaw, which didn’t go quite as well as I would have hoped, but is good enough for now. My intent is to eventually replace it with something more solid and rigid. That allowed me to move the miter saw up and over. It’s honestly a little too far up and about an inch not far enough over. I’ll have to fine tune it, first with the distance and then with the height. The shelf need to come up now to match the deck of the miter saw as well.
What’s fantastic about this is that by putting the sander on the short cart where the planer had temporarily been sitting, it now fits under the bench as well. Somehow I had taken 11 inches of storage space away and actually came out ahead. I have no idea how I did that.
That poplar is still in my car, but it was a great afternoon anyway. On Sunday, I did some more cleaning and did a little project for my Dad I hope to have pictures of soon. The shop is looking better than it has in a very long time.
I also, right before my parents came by to test out the project, I figured out that I could slide my toolbox up under the side of my lathe stand. Unfortunately, while the body of the box was a perfect fit, the latches wouldn’t let it work. So I took a saw and a chisel and made it perfect.