Planned upgrades

The plan right now is to plan for a new shop. I don’t know when it will happen, but I think it is now a when, not an if. The rot on the exterior wall seems to have had at least a partial impact on the support structure. Unless I eventually want the shop to collapse, I’ll need to evacuate. I made a temporary repair to the roof to limit future damage, but the loss of the water diverter this winter really did some damage. It actually broke at the bend, where rust took it’s toll. The other half is still embedded under a row of shingles. I bought an item meant for another purpose, but it is a plastic piece that would basically serve the same purpose. I used subfloor caulk (what I had) under, then inserted it under a row of shingles above the old one. It was secured with galvanized roofing nails and more caulk around the nails. I also caulked the tabs so that water could back up and under the shingle.

There is a trick I’m going to use in the new shop in place of permanent power. I have always tried to find a solution like RVs use, with a male power receptacle attached to the side of the building. In absence of finding one, or making one, what I’m going to do is to use an all-weather outlet cover, and cut a small hole for 2-3 cord ends to come out. Combined with all-weather outlets on the house, I can theoretically keep the shop plugged in at all times. This could be beneficial in the winter with freezing temps, if I can find a plug-in thermostat.

Now, the big question would be what I do with the interior electrical. If it isn’t a big deal to be done, I’d like to have standard outlets. This could come in handy if I ever do have power run. It would also just be plain cleaner. I would put in two sets of outlets at each spot – one for each extension cord. I would no longer have a ‘higher’ and ‘lower’ capacity extension cord, but two of the same size and as big as possible. If I’m using say the table saw and dust collector (vac now, hopefully DC later), I just make sure they are plugged in one on the top row, the other on the bottom row. I could do this now with strips, but it would be uglier, and perhaps costlier long-term. Especially if I then have to add outlets anyway. For some reason though, I have the feeling that as soon as I get this shop built, I’ll be moving. That always seems to happen, right?

I’m still designing the new shop. I had an idea for a way to increase my space without (I think) technically being within guidelines. This involves moving the lathe outside, but for some reason the simple act of offsetting the door to one side has significantly decreased my virtual room. It’s hard to understand why, at least on the surface. I am planning to have some loft storage capability. My dust collection components, my home DIY stuff (drywall, etc) and hopefully some plywood storage. I had also hoped to put a dust collector up there, but with a standard gable-end construction, I don’t think it will be tall enough. If I go gambrel-end, it could be. But that’s added cost, time, and potentially compromises a design feature. We’ll see.

On the agenda for this shop and the next are smaller wall cabinets. I get too restricted by having the large one. Smaller ones would allow me to have certain things in certain spaces, and allow for storage of things next to, and above, in more places. Doors, this time, too. With the LR32 system, I have no excuses to not start practicing.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.