The lathe stand – details

With the stand being grossly finished, it’s time to start working on the details – the things that are really going to make a difference, and the reason why I wanted to build it in the first place. If I was just wanting a stand, I would have tried to repair the stock one.

I went to Lowes and picked up lag screws, sand and construction adhesive, along with another roll of Shop Towels, because well…I was out. Not really related to the project. I came home, and on reflection, decided to add a support 2×4 in the middle of the sand well. I used pocket screws to attach to the front and back stretchers, and I’ll at some point anchor the bottom piece of ply to it. I’ll attach the shelf to it as well, giving plenty of support to hold the sand. I proceeded then to fill it up with sand. I should mention that as soon as I got home, I put a nice layer of the adhesive along all corners and junctions, hoping to keep the sand from leaking out. I’ll find out if it worked later, I suppose. I calculated that it would hold at least 100 pounds of sand, but unfortunately it looks like it will be a lot less. Probably about 70 pounds. I’m not sure why the math was off, even with the added support. I was my understanding that there would be no math. The stand is plenty sturdy with the sand and the toolbox and grinder on there, but I don’t think I’ll ultimately have room for the toolbox, and we’ll see about the grinder. Some weight plates may be in order, depending on how low that lower drawer is.

So, I sit here on a Wednesday afternoon finishing up both my school work and trying to finish work for the day. Hopefully, I’ll get at least a little bit of time in the workshop this afternoon. My next steps are to get another bag of sand and fill up the well as far as it will go, and produce a top. I will probably secure it with a couple of screws at each end and several more in the middle, to provide that good support for the bottom via the support block. I don’t anticipate having to have access to the well except for rare occasions, so I’m not going to use glue. It’s not integral to keeping the sand in.

The drawer slides arrived yesterday, and I’m wondering if pine will be enough to support them. I’ll have to ask. Longer screws, at the very least probably. Drawers will have to wait until the shop is a bit more cleaned up, and I can assess what plywood I have. I may have to pile it all on top of the workbench to really see. I should probably catalog it if I’m going to keep it.

I forgot to mention that I tried installing the lathe to the bench itself. The right side (bed) went very well, but I broke two lag screws and a drill bit trying to get the motor side installed. I have one open spot left that I will drill up through and use a bolt. It’s pretty secure as-is, though.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.