The outer bands of Harvey are hitting Atlanta now, thankfully nowhere near as bad as what Houston is going through. I’ve been through the experience of having a home flooded, and it isn’t something I wish on anyone. My thoughts are with them.
With rain comes a bit of a delay in the next phase. Last night, I created three window headers for the shop out of a couple 2x6s, OSB scrap from the gussets, and 3″ nails I picked up for the borrowed nailer. I am really thinking of only putting in two windows for now on the house side, but it’s a trifle to make and install it when the wall is framed. I am going to be using some cheaper single pane windows from Lowe’s that measure about 24×30 in a rough opening. These will be high up on the walls to maximize storage. It was nice to make these last night before the rains came, as I was able to hold a little instructional and safety session for two of my kids. I showed them how the air nailer worked and the safety precautions. I got all the headers started and they were able to add a lot more nails. I didn’t get to use up all my 2-3/8″ galvanized nails, but these 3″ nails will be much better for framing. I may even need more than the initial thousand. What I may do in the next couple of days is make the door header. I’m sizing the door to fit a standard French outswing if that ever strikes me as a good idea.
Because I’m going from one big window to three smaller ones, I decided to take a look at a different layout for the new shop. I didn’t want to be in a situation where I put something tall in front of a window, if possible. Also, I needed to see how I was going to soft out the issue of getting into the loft area. Something I had been thinking about was eliminating the lathe in some fashion, and this potential layout rolls with that premise.
Lathe removed, left side of the wall swapped over to the right, workbench back on the back wall, and everything else where it will fit. I then looked at this layout as it pertained to all my tool usage. This is the static environment where I can use the workbench, MFT, or get to my systainers without moving anything.
Then, time to move things around for different use cases.
Here I’m using the table saw, pulled out into the doorway and the router fence removed or pushed all the way back. For very large sheets, I could take the Incra clamp off or use the MFT as an outfeed.
Using the router table is very simple. With more space in the middle now, I can rotate it diagonally for really big pieces where the fence has to sit further back.
If I need to move the router table out of the way to use the miter saw I can. I perhaps won’t always need to.
The planer is where we start seeing longer spaces needed. Here, I can position out the door and over the workbench.
The jointer is the biggest chore to use, but it always has been. Here I slide the table saw and router out of the way, and use the door and the open area in front of the systainers. For short pieces I could possibly leave it where it rests.
The bandsaw can be pulled out if needed…
As can the drill press. Both will need mobile bases eventually.
The only concern I have about this layout is that my free window is blocked a bit by the bandsaw, and the one next to my workbench is taken up with the air conditioner. I can put the workbench near the door and shuffle the MFT, bandsaw, and drill press around and accomplish pretty much the same things though. Or, I can add $50 to the budget and go ahead and put that window in over the jointer and have the A/C hidden on the back side of the shop. That actually sounds like a great idea now that I think about it. Place another shelf over the jointer to serve as miter saw outfeed as well. Since this window would be a bit harder to get to, it would be perfect to put the air conditioner here because I won’t need to open and close the window, and the unit is remote controlled.
Late tonight I think I sorted out where the air cleaner and attic ladder is going to go. Things are getting exciting.